Monday, February 27, 2006

Greetings from Biloxi! First Report

Greetings from Biloxi!

Well, there is so much to tell...

Let's begin with what Barbara says is the story she'll never live down (that's not quite true but it is a fun story!).

We were scheduled to gather at 2:30PM on Sunday to leave for the airport. At 1:22, I was pulling into my driveway (I had to run home to change and find my checkbook). Barbara called from Biloxi to say that, after worship at Bethel, they inquired about any needed supplies. She was told that folks are coming in with what they call "The Katrina Crud," cold and flu symptoms from exposure to the elements, mold, dust and being rundown over the long haul. "Go to Meijer and just clear out a shelf of cold and flu medicine."

Fortunately, I found my checkbook quickly and headed to CVS to purchase a basketful of medications. Of course, at one time, one cannot buy more than a couple of cold remedies that contain pseudephedrine. Fortunately, I found a nice cashier who understood (and believed) what I was doing and rang up my purchase. It required 5 separate transactions but we did it! So, off I went to church, equipped with $250 in cold/flu remedies!

When we arrived in Biloxi, we discovered Walgreens, CVS, KMart and Wal-Mart to be operational. (We could have purchased the drugs here! Oh, well, it's a better story this way, isn't it?)

Our flights took off safely and landed gently, pretty much on time. On the second flight - full of students heading to "Tent City" - we realized how fortunate we were that Roland and Barbara had taken our sleeping bags. The overhead compartments were FULL of the other groups' sleeping gear!

The woman seated next to me on the flight into Gulfport asked about our efforts and thanked us for coming. She said what many said in New Orleans: Without volunteer efforts, the city wouldn't be able to recover.

On the way to Bethel in our rented minivan, I almost hit a small dog. It was a big like watching a glacier calve. First, I heard it (actually, I heard Emily gasp from the back seat) and then I saw it. I hit the brakes hard. I gasped. The dog yelped. But then it kept on moving. I HOPE that I just scared us both!

We arrived at Bethel and were warmly greeted by Barbara and Roland, who gave us a tour and started to offer an orientation. We were interrupted by the "volunteer gestapo" who told us that lights were out at 10 - and then shut them off! Her greeting was an aberration as we have truly been welcomed warmly.

The lesson for the first night: Don't leave the earplugs in the van. Distribute a set to all. Between the adrenaline from travel and the snoring woman in our room (yes, we DID score those lovely TempurPedic mattresses! YAY!), sleep did not come easily.

Question for the first night: Why is it that the snorer in any group is the first to fall asleep and the last to awaken? Huh?

This morning, we had breakfast and an orientation from Judy Bultman, the Director here at Bethel. Her husband is the pastor. And he'd be hard pressed to preach any more dynamically than Judy did in welcoming and encouraging and empowering us for service this morning. She's amazing!

Roland and Barbara stayed at Bethel to offer pastoral care at the clinic. (As the shock wears off, people are presenting with PTSD, which is Roland's pastoral specialty.)

Max, Emily, Chelsea and I went to "the little green house" for our assignments.


Max and Emily were assigned to electrical work at a house just off of "tent city."

Chelsea and I were sent to help the Humane Society of South Mississippi (HSSM) which is moving to a new location. In addition to the two of us, they had 30 students from Augustana College and 17 Navy SEABEES. They had more people than they could handle! We cuddled puppies, walked puppies and dogs and Chelsea helped with the cats.

Lesson for Monday morning: Take BOTH boots and tennies along as one never knows which will be more appropriate (i.e., my boots were not meant for dog walking!).

Following lunch, we're awaiting our afternoon assignments, which are probably ready for us.

Photos will come later.

Peace,
Sue


No comments:

Popular Posts